An extension of my blog "Writings of a Misguided Blonde," this blog contains ideas and writings for a possible novel. Please enjoy!

Join Associated Content Check out my published content!

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Study Abroad - Part 1

During my freshman year at MSU, I knew that I wanted Study Abroad to be a part of my experience. Unfortunately, I was unprepared for just how deeply my study abroad expriences would shape not only my college education, but my life as well. In all, I participated in 5 separate study abroad experiences and 3 alternative spring break trips to various locations in Mexico. Honestly, it would have been difficult to have fit more student travel into my college experience.

During my last year at Michigan State, I was fortunate enough to highlight my study abroad experiences by becoming a Peer Advisor in the Office of Study Abroad. It was one of the most natural and rewarding jobs I've ever taken.

Now that you have a little background, let me provide you with little more detail. First off, it is important to note that every experience added a little something different to my education and my view of the world. Prior to spending the summer of 2000 in London, England and Glasgow, Scotland, my foreign travel experience was limited to Canada and the Caribbean (while I had traveled to Cancun, Mexico with my family, it is more similar to the US in culture than Mexico).

I immediately fell in love with the idea of traveling, writing, and studying. It freed me in a way I had never felt before. It highlighted a year of tremendous personal and academic growth. Prior to Michigan State and my first study abroad experience, I had spent my entire life in a town of slightly over 2,000 people. Everyone knew everyone else and it seemed almost as if one couldn't change preconceived notions others held of them.

College was my opportunity to break away. Study abroad allowed me to break the mold even more. Study abroad allowed me to take it to the next level, and it allowed me the opportunity to look at life from the vantage point of an extremely intelligent child. While everything is new and exciting, the individual is able to respond and learn in a mature way, acheiving true growth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home